Jose Mourinho has said up to four youth players will be given the chance to impress in the Chelsea first team next season.
Chelsea's youth setup has impressed of late, and on Monday they beat Manchester City 3-1 in the first leg of the FA Youth Cup by defeating final, having won the competition last season.
The likes of Isaiah Brown, 18, and Dominic Solanke, 17, and Ruben Loftus-Cheek, 19, have all been tipped for bright futures.
And last month Mourinho revealed he expects Loftus-Cheek to compete for a starting place next season.
The Chelsea boss said in the Daily Mail before Monday's victory over Chelsea: "I cannot have a squad of 10 men and 10 kids.
"Next season, Ruben will not be a kid in the development process. He will be a first-team player, absolutely ready to play and compete. And we will do the same with two or three or four players.
"Some of the older ones will go on loan to play every game in the Championship or the Premier League, even abroad. And we will bring some of the younger ones into the process. But to have them all at the same time in the first-team squad is hard.
"I cannot have a squad of 10 men and 10 kids. I must have a squad like we have now of 16 or 17 seniors and three or four kids.
"From that team that won the UEFA Youth League, four belong to my squad. Four are my players, first-team players who train with the first-team every day and develop with the first-team. When they're not selected with the first-team -- and normally they're not selected -- they go back and play there.
"Their development is easier when they're training every day with the first-team, doing preseason, playing some matches, playing 20 minutes or half an hour in an FA Cup match, Capital One Cup match, even a Champions League match or in the league now and again.
"They belong to a process. I can't have 10 of these young players in my squad but I can have three or four and we did that with Loftus-Cheek, Brown, [Andreas] Christensen and [Nathan] Ake -- and Solanke a few times."
Recent Posts
Another Bangladeshi blogger hacked to death
A masked gang wielding machetes has hacked a blogger to death in northeastern Bangladesh in the t[...]
May 12, 2015Four suspects in the Lekki bank robbery apprehended by the police
Four suspects involved in the deadly Lekki Phase bank robbery in March which resulted in the deat[...]
May 12, 2015Remembering Bob Marley, the King of Reggae
Robert Nesta "Bob" Marley OM (6 February 1945 – 11 May 1981) was a Jamaican reggae singer, songwr[...]
May 12, 2015Japanese porn industry hit by shortage of men. 70 men to 10,000 women
Japanese $20billion porn industry is under threat as their men have refused to participate. Accor[...]
May 11, 2015First son of Nnamdi Azikiwe, Chukwuma dies at 75
The first son of first Nigerian Head of State, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Chief Bamidele Azikiwe has died at[...]
May 11, 2015Family and church members of Pastor held by the NDLEA for drug trafficking disappear
The family and church members of the 43-year-old pastor, who was arrested by operatives of the [...]
May 11, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment
Click to see the code!
To insert emoticon you must added at least one space before the code.