The National Emergency Management Agency on Tuesday said it had received over 3,000 Nigerians deported from Niger.
The agency also disclosed that by the end of the day (Wednesday), it would have taken custody of over 6,000 Nigerians deported from Niger.
This was disclosed by the agency’s Director of Search and Rescue, Air Commodore Charles Otegbade, to journalists in Geidam, Yobe State.
He added, “We just received communication from Nigerien government that another set of 3,000 persons are been sent to us.
“We will be going to the border post to take custody of the people.”
He said they are not ruling out the possibility of the figure growing beyond 6,000.
“Before we came here, the information we received from Niger is that about 2,000 Nigerians would be delivered to us, but now, see what we have on the ground.
“We are going to remain in Geidam as long as it takes to evacuate the people back to their respective states. Geidam is acting as a transit town and we have two camps, one at the stadium and the other at a primary school in the town,” he added.
Otegbade also revealed that the returnees were from 10 states of the federation – Taraba, Adamawa, Sokoto, Kebbi, Benue, Zamfara, Borno, Yobe, Bauchi and Kano.
He said arrangements had been made to transport them to their respective states, stressing that already, contact had been made with the affected states’ emergency management agencies.
He explained that most of the returnees had been declared free of any health problem.
Otegbade however said three pregnant women in the first batch complained about minor health challenges and they were taken to health facilities in Geidam for medical attention.
Our correspondent observed that most of the deportees are fishermen, who left Nigeria for Niger to fish.
Some of them, who spoke to our correspondent, claimed that they were treated harshly by the Nigerien military.
One of them, Daniel Abba, said they hd to trek a long distance before they could get transport to Nigeria.
Another, a pregnant woman, Fatima Ali, said during the long trek, four pregnant women died.
She said there were many Nigerians, who would have loved to come back home still trapped in the area
Recent Posts
Another Bangladeshi blogger hacked to death
A masked gang wielding machetes has hacked a blogger to death in northeastern Bangladesh in the t[...]
May 12, 2015Four suspects in the Lekki bank robbery apprehended by the police
Four suspects involved in the deadly Lekki Phase bank robbery in March which resulted in the deat[...]
May 12, 2015Remembering Bob Marley, the King of Reggae
Robert Nesta "Bob" Marley OM (6 February 1945 – 11 May 1981) was a Jamaican reggae singer, songwr[...]
May 12, 2015Japanese porn industry hit by shortage of men. 70 men to 10,000 women
Japanese $20billion porn industry is under threat as their men have refused to participate. Accor[...]
May 11, 2015First son of Nnamdi Azikiwe, Chukwuma dies at 75
The first son of first Nigerian Head of State, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Chief Bamidele Azikiwe has died at[...]
May 11, 2015Family and church members of Pastor held by the NDLEA for drug trafficking disappear
The family and church members of the 43-year-old pastor, who was arrested by operatives of the [...]
May 11, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment
Click to see the code!
To insert emoticon you must added at least one space before the code.